This agreement is required by law if you collect personal data. Personal data is any kind of data or information that can be considered personal (identifies an individual):
- Email address
- First and last name
- Billing and shipping address
- Credit card information
- And so on
In 1968, Council of Europe did studies on the threat of the Internet expansion as they were concerned with the effects of technology on human rights. This lead to the development of policies that were to be developed to protect personal data.
This agreement can also be known under these names:
- Privacy Statement
- Privacy Notice
- Privacy Information
- Privacy Page
- Notice. Data collectors (meaning, you or your company) must make clear what they are doing with the personal information from users before gathering it.
- Choice. The companies collecting the data must respect the choices of users on what information to provide and how personal that provided information will be.
- Access. Users should be able to view or contest the accuracy of personal data collected by the company.
- Security. The companies are entirely responsible for the accuracy and security (keeping it properly away from unauthorized eyes and hands) of the collected personal information.